(This was originally one post with another Yotsuya place. Check that here)
Post by James
I found this place by chance as I arrived about 20 minutes before Marumugi opened.
– Mates is a small bar with seven counter seats and a table that could seat about the same number.
– They had Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn lager on tap when I went and it seems that they don’t change the taps much.
– Pints (460ml) were ¥1100 yen and small (300ml) were ¥700.
– There were also about eight craft beers available in bottles.
– There is no charge but smoking is permitted.
I liked this bar. Although this is an “American bar” there was rugby on TV when I went and the owner is an ex player. An extremely friendly place. I was only there for half an hour but the owner and other customers made me feel really welcome. The owner speaks reasonable English, so it is a good place if your Japanese isn’t great. The taps seem pretty fixed but the early opening is very appealing. It is only one minute from Marumugi.
Japanese breweries on tap when I visited:
舟町 4-10, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo